From:
Norm Purdy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Mar 2016 11:00:07 -0700
I may have missed contacting some of the people for whom I make jacks,
but most are on HPSCHD-L.

About three weeks ago I was in the shop when I noticed part of the
visual field in my right eye was missing.  I hoped it would go away, but
decided to call an opthamologist and was told to come in right away.
Upon examining me, the doc informed me that I would be having surgery
that afternoon!  Turns out that I had a detached retina and time is of
essence to increase the odds of successful recovery.

I'll spare the details, but in a nutshell the procedure involved
injecting a gas bubble into the eyeball (sulfur hexafloride) and using a
laser to zap some spot welds on the retina to the back of the eyeball.
The purpose of the gas bubble is to press the retina against the eyeball
until the spot welds heal.  This required keeping my head in a face-down
position for several days - day and night.

I'm still limited in activity for a while to keep things from jiggling
about.  And the gas bubble - now about halfway dissipated - makes the
vision in my right eye useless.  I have no depth perception - I
frequently miss when pouring into a cup.  So I'm not too eager to get my
hands near a bandsaw blade!

Upshot of all this is that my waiting list and delivery schedule for
jacks will be delayed for a while - most likely another month.  I'll hit
the shop with all possible speed as soon as possible.

Moral:  Don't take your eyes for granted!

Norm