From:
Ibo Ortgies <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 4 Dec 2017 16:25:34 +0100
Dear Claudio,

thanks,

* * * * * *

> 1) > > (Claudio wrote) - In the Froberger Vienna entourage the occasional
> use of Equal Temperament on keyboards is well documented.

I wrote

> What is the documentation for the actual use of ET in Vienna.
>

> Do not remember right now, will try and find out. One thing I am pretty
> sure: the person who first told me about this was you Ibo in an email some
> years ago. Possibly you know the documentation better than myself ...
> :-)

That would be funny. :)

But I tend keep all my sent mails and I do not find any such info that I
had sent ,to you or anybody else.
Also, I do not find any such  information about ET in Froberger's time in
Vienna, at all, nor am I aware of such information.

My guess is that either I have forgotten all about Vienna ...

–  but why hadn't I stated such information about ET in Vienna ca 10 years
ago in my previous mails to the list?

... or one of us mixes the matter up?
May I ask you exactly quote what I wrote?  Thanks!

I wrote

> 2)  Frescobaldi ... Equal Temperament. ... This has been discussed, but I
>> haven't seen that Martin Kirnbauer's research (2013) on the matter - 27
>> years after Barbieri 1986 (which istaken into account by Kirnbauer) - has
>> been disproved.
>

> [...]So just in case I checked again Barbieri (btw. his IL
> TEMPERAMENTO EQUABILE NEL PERIODO FRESCOBALDIANO" is dated Ferrara 1983,
> not
> 1986). Barbieri specifically mentions musicians in Frescobaldi's milieu
> (such as Valentini and Lobkowitz) and his conclusion on p.407 is that (I
> translate from Italian): "... it appears that in Rome - starting from
> 1639 and for at least two decades - the temperament of "equal semitones"
> was
> adopted (on the harpsichord) by a very small but very fierce minority of
> musicians, both theoretical and practical."

It "appears" apparently means that it seems likely to the author, i. e.
Barbieri. It is an educated guess, maybe so much as a working hypothesis,
since evidence for Frescobaldi actually using it, is lacking.
If it is claimed matter-of-factly that Frescobaldi actually (and unusually)
used Equal Temperament, we should on the contrary expect equally
unequivocal evidence.

> Will try to find the recent work by Kirnbauer and see to which extent it
> disproves Barbieri's 34 pages worth of historical sources and their
> analysis.

Disproval needs more seldom than not  much less space than to establish a
claim beyond reasonable doubt.
It may be just one fragment of a sentence, and the result of research
published in whole books may disappear. Happens all the time again. That
doesn't mean that disproved research wasn't a valuable step in the
evolution of our knowledge!

Best

Ibo