From:
Hinrich Muller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 May 1998 01:01:55 -0400
It depends on if the paint needs protectying.

I have taken SBs out of cases using lots of steam without harming the
border decoration. I have fixed cracks and re-glued bridges and cleaned
the soundboard afterwards by washing it with a rag several times, with
no damage to the painting.

I know for for a fact that egg tempera becomes almost indestructable,
after a certain curing time.

Hinrich Muller

*   Ratio of whales killed by Captain Ahab in pursuit of    *
* Moby Dick to people indicted by Kenneth Starr since 1994: *
*                            1:1                            *
*     Office of the Independent Counsel (Washington)/       *
*           Mystic Seaport Museum (Mystic, Conn.)           *
*                    from HARPER'S INDEX                    *