From:
Jack Peters <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2006 06:36:16 -0700
In 1982 I visited the Bachhaus and was quite surprised to find a
delightfully small rustic harpsichord sitting on a small rustic table.
It had recently been restored to playing and Its tonal charaterictic was
much more like a virginal not because of the live wrestplank but because
of the high pluck points. Since the main purpose of the trip to (then
East_) Germany was to see and measure germanic examples, I made a
rubbing of the soundboard and noted such unusual features such as
exposed tenons showing the inner construction through the outer case
walls. The inst was painted a dark redbrown. It had two unisons and a 4
oct. keyboard which slide to the right two semitones. All this was very
unusual to me then.as I was expecting some "german charcteristics". My
client who accompanied me wound up choosing this as a model for an
instrument which I delivered somewhere around 1992. One thing I
remembered just now was the heavy walled dovetailed case with a rather
sharp curve in the treble. The scale was too long for brass at modern
pitch and a bit short for iron. But then Voss wire wasn't known then.
What was so strange was that as close as the copy was to the tone of the
original, no one knew what to play on it. I also lost track of the inst
and the owner. I do also remember that of all the instruments seen on
the trip, the best sounding was a new copy by Frau Ammer of the circa
1700 Harass which I personally didn't see but which came back as photos
and a cassette tape from my travelling companion. If I knew what I know
now, I would have quiickly designed a smaller version of this humongous
instrument and sold it as a "Bach Instrument". But thise were my "copy
days". It's not too strange that a name like Ammer would come back as
one of the better builders today.  JP