From:
Stephen Birkett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2007 19:56:12 -0400
Jean-Pierre asks:

>Just the following, due to a short experience :
>- I don't know the TPW's wire provider.

If you mean P-wire that would be me (or rather will be me). The last
experiemental batch is still held up in the lab processes and
mechanical experimentation, but we're very close now to having it
ready to test on instruments. This is a replication of historical
iron wire by reconstructing the alloy from its constituents (the
material hasn't been available since the 19th century) and
specialized processing into fine gage music wire. Almost a decade has
been spent now on this project.

>- Last, I don't know p-wire and I don't see what it can bring : better
>sound, better resilience, what ?

More accurate historical sound - less metallic and more mellow. I
describe it as like an "iron brass" sound.

Enhanced corrosion resistance.

Better practicality on historical instruments - more flexible, easy
to wind on tuning pins (especially hole-free ones).

Instant pitch stability at stress levels typical of historical
instruments (as late as 1840 Viennese pianos) - no plastic
stretching, the tone is immediately developed and focused.

Stephen

--
Stephen Birkett
http://real.uwaterloo.ca/~sbirkett