Date:
Fri, 29 Feb 2008 10:56:16 +0100
I knew William Buckley during my 10 years of making harpsichords in the Swiss Alps. Every year Bill used to spend some six weeks during the winter writing his spy novels, columns and do a bit of skiing at the Chateau of Rougemont. Together we used to organize concerts always featuring the harpsichord in the Romanesque church next door. Bill was always enthusiastic about good playing. After the post concert receptions at the Chateau we would steal back to the church, often with the harpsichordist Skip Sempe to self indulge once more in some Louis Couperin and more.

What has now become the Piccola Accademia in Tuscany (www.piccolaaccademia.org) had it's beginnings in that church with William Buckley twenty years ago. The two of us tried to raise the money for a collection of harpsichords for the same reasons as the P.A.is now accomplishing. While Bill commissioned two instruments destined for the collection we were never successful in raising the other money necessary. In the end he generously gave as a gift to Skip the french double which has since figured in many important recordings.
    I enjoyed the man immensely.

             Bruce Kennedy