From:
Bill Jurgenson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Feb 2008 18:34:05 +0100
On Thu, 28 Feb 2008 10:58:01 -0500, Peter Redstone wrote:

> Of course, since the industrial revolution began in England (with the
> steam engine beginning with Newcomen in c.1710, one would expect
> screws to be mass-produced early on.

London ivory sawyers were using a small circular saw by 1680 and this
carried over to instrument makers, too.
The Benj. Sison spinet form 1685 I restored had completely believable
circular saw kerfs on the completely original jacks.
The ivory, did, too.

Another method for the batten was the use of two or three small
turnable latches of brass wire thru the batten which had small
horizontal slots for these; the batten was put on over these latches
when they were turned horizontally and then the latches were turned
90º. This sort of "lock" can be found all over the place, especially
with forte piano damper racks, but also with sticker guides in organs.

Then there was the use of the sliding dovetail. Small sliding dovetails
were fit into the back of the batten or more usually the nameboard, and
then glued to the front of the WP (or nameboard). Thus, the piece could
be lifted up and off. Typical german organbuilder stuff.

lots of ways to skin a cat...

but screws were not one of them, not even when screw were commercially
available; both Stein and Schiedmayer used the sliding dovetail. On an
1815ish viennese piano there are no visible screws. Stein did screw on
the front board in front of the keyboard with two very large-headed
hand-made screws since he had no sled but instead three individual jams
under the keyframe - primative like a lot of what Stein did.
D.Schiedmayer invented the sled by fxing the jams to the front board.
his sone reveryed to the individual jams which are easier to put in but
slotted the frontboard into the case on both sides like most everyone
else did.