From:
"T. Diehl" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Feb 2016 16:05:35 +0100
1. [Assuming a simple sine wave] How is the pitch of the note registered in
the ear?

As you said, by vibrations of the tympanum.
TD: So we agree.

2. How does this sound become perceived in the brain?

Doesn't matter - if the pitch isn't registered in the ear, it won't be
perceived in the brain.
TD: Here also, we agree.
So, let's go back to #1.
I think we agree that the eardrum must register one complete waveform in
order for the pitch to register. And we also agree that the limit of human
discrimination is on the order of 1 Hz (actually, it seems to be something
greater).
TD: We agree. And you are saying exactly what I said several times already:
"that the eardrum must register one complete waveform in order for the
pitch to register." For which one person inferred I was liar, ("I doubt
such statements were ever found in any schoolbook") and others made me out
for a fool.
So, these are not points of disagreement.
The problem I'm having is that your reasoning doesn't make any sense to me.
You say, I think, that humans can't discriminate between 415 and 415.3 only
because the difference is less than 1 complete cycle. Do I understand this
correctly? If so, this seems wrong. Among other problem, it seems to imply
the following:
TD: In the above we just agreed that: "the eardrum must register one
complete waveform in order for the pitch to register." Of course the
tympanum does not make 'half movements', but there is always a time element
in a frequency in relation to pitch. 440 cycles per second are not the same
as 220 cycles per second.
the scientifc number 415.3 Hz in musical practice is the same as 2.3
children, it is gong to be either 2 or 3, or in this case 415 or 416.

- if we play test tones for 10 seconds instead of 1, that we can (in
principle) differentiate.
TD: In actual practice many tones are much less than 1 second in duration,
what then?
And long tones bring all kinds of other issues into this mix that
complicate it, regarding soundwave propagation as well as the working of
the inner ear that translates the mechanical working of the tympanum into
electrical current.
- instruments can't detect the difference between 415 and 415.3, which we
know is false.
TD: Do you mean digital instruments? They can differentiate this, because
they use an inbuilt clock to measure against. If you mean acoustic
instruments I beg to differ..
Since these implications are wrong, it would seem that the logic is faulty.
If you could address the two points indicated with a hyphen above, it might
help clear things up.
(And, again, I must protest the tone of your message to David Pickett.)
TD: That is your good right and duly noted. I think however that you can
see I can have a good discussion ? That is because you are actually
inquisitive and engaging me rather than using rhetorical tactics more
typical of the US electoral process, or tryng to divert the discussion by
impressing with your knowledge of Mel's and 'furphy'.
Regards, Theodore