From:
Bruce Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 May 2016 23:57:39 +0000
For point of reference, from one in Minnesota, where a winter humidity of more than 35%, on cold days (perhaps -20 degree F) leads to severe window condensation and wood damage, even with triple-glazed argon-filled windows.

Even 30% is problematic, since moving the instrument to a venue with typical 10-20% on winter days results in a long wait for stabilization, retuning in steps with tightened strings leading to other recently tuned strings becoming again flat, etc… This stress can’t be good for an instrument.

(Phsyics lesson alert - even with a perfect vapor barrier in walls and ceiling, air infiltration from exterior high RH% at cold temperature becomes a low RH% once warmed up. Hence the challenge of keeping indoors humid when it’s really cold outside.)

This being said, I now have the luxury of a dedicated music studio with good vapor barriers. The ease of keeping this single room more and less humid than the rest of the house is remarkable. It IS possible to keep it near 30% with humidification AND dehumidification on those cool damp fall and winter days. NO TUNING REQUIRED!

But merely opening the french doors to the rest of the house for a few minutes makes a <marked> difference in humidity. The water molecules disperse through the air gasses with ease - far faster than temperature migration. I made a noticable improvement in humidity control by adding seals to the bottoms of the french doors!

Lately with more gigs, I have given up keeping it that high in the winter and have adopted summer and winter humidity/tuning.

For those in temperature climates, it is wonderful that you can enjoy higher humidity year-around. (The wide-open windows at the Uffitzi gallery in Florence come to mind.)

In the upper midwest, this is out of the question.

Bruce