From:
Peter W Redstone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:04:25 -0400
Hi folks!

Someone must have done SOMETHING for which I thank them!  When I turned on
my machine, I found no less than 35 HPSCHD-L postings waiting!  So it's working
again.

Mr. (scarlatti) Perkins asked about the Acme Pluck-O-Meter.  It is a spring
balance with which one can achieve _exactly_ similar pluck from note to note.
 The name is a figment of my fevered imagination!  The originator, a.f.a.i.k.
was John Watson, who showed me the one he made some 15 years ago. I was so
impressed I went home and made one immediately.  Subsequently, a number of
good players have commented on my even regulation, so I have no plans on abandoning
its use.

Using it has revealed some interesting facts: some harpsichords need harder
and harder pluck to achieve an even sound as the scale descends, while others
do not. I am at a loss to explain why, since both types of instruments can
have a superb bass.

As to what Mr. Bunning commented:

>its a piece of ^&%*&%

Since he is unacquainted with such a device, I am unable to comprehend why
he made such a comment.

Best!

Redstone

Peter Redstone