From:
ANDREW NOLAN <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 2 Feb 2008 02:47:33 +1000
SI - system Internationale - a standardised international metric
system. FPS - feet and pounds
I am always amused when a US retiree (there are quite a few here in
Queensland) during a medical consultation asks when how many stones
and pounds they weight after I have given it in kilos. Stones? you
measure weight in rocks?
Back to harpsichord content, Wil Smith would have measured his wire
with a slip gauge surely.  Was brass music wire made in England?
I would be interested to hear if anyone has done metrical analysis of
early English harpsichords like Grant Obrien has done with the
Italian harpsichords. It might give some clues to the origins and
associations of these makers with makers on the Continent.