From:
Peter Bavington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Nov 2003 21:42:54 -0000
I heard Pamela Ruiter-Feenstra improvise on the clavichord at Magnano. If I
remember correctly, she took as a theme a Swedish chorale tune. After
pausing for a moment's thought, she produced a perfect suite: Prelude,
Allemande, Courante, Sarabande and Jig, each piece in the correct binary
form, and based on the harmonic and melodic structure of the chorale. It
was remarkable to hear this piece growing under her fingers.

I do not think, though, that there is any essential difference between an
improvised suite such as this and a work in the same form composed in
advance. The 'composed' suite might very often have been based on
improvisation anyway.

Peter Bavington
Harpsichord and Clavichord Maker
291 Sprowston Mews